so this is thirty•one

This month I turned 
thirty one ... 

and I'm not really sure where 30 went .. When I say it out loud I'm actually not really sure where the last like 5 - 10 years went.

SO, this is my "super old" "super winging it" 31 year old self's Nectar List!





Here's some truths about this photo before you read on:
- I'm not one for "selfies" so attempting to take an actual self portrait for the first time went terribly wrong
- Taking a self portrait with animals is even more difficult
- The cat is the only one who looks good, I decided today I might sign him up to be a cat model
- Suri refused to kiss me on command so instead we look like we have a deep connection
- I have had a serious Mexican gastro bug for about 3 days so I did not feel at all comfortable or healthy - but here we are and this is 31.

.enjoy.

Well, my thirties have brought more illnesses and injuries than I ever could have imagined for this poor old soul but I wouldn't change it at all.

Okay ... In all seriousness it feels like yesterday that I thought people in their thirties were OLD... Like old as the hills. At that time in my life I also thought I knew everything and I certainly didn't think my life would look like it does at 31. 
I'm not totally sure how life gets like that. 
Like your hair is bad, you have acne, you’re getting in trouble for drinking or skipping your high school classes and you've got raging hormones and you legit feel more knowledgeable and confident than maybe you ever will again. 

And no one ever says - hey, high school version of you, savour this moment, someday you're going to wish you had this confidence.

So recap: as a teenager I knew it all, literally everything, and people in their thirties and up were old. 


As a thirty one year old (and for a lot of my adult years) I honestly fudge it on the daily and other than my job (for the most part) I'm generally not super confident in most of my decisions. Ya'll reading this thinking I'm getting sad or serious but I mean this in the funniest most light hearted way possible.  I'm TOTALLY happy and it's amazing to me to look back on each year of my life and reflect on how truly incredible this journey has been. So maybe I know nothing and I'm a "super old" version of my former "super smart" self but I would actually never go back. I have had some real lows in the last couple years and some incredible high points and they all contribute to who I am today and for that I am totally grateful. 

Current me: knows nothing, feels super young (minus the illnesses and injuries) and is happy winging each day. 

In past years - usually on new years - I've done a Nectar List. For those of you saying "a what?" ... 
It's like a reverse bucket list. It's a list of some of the most incredible things you've done in your life. Somewhere deep in this land of these blogs there are a couple Nectar Lists full of some of my most amazing experiences ...

But for this one I'm going to keep it short 
and in reflection of my thirtieth year experiences.. 
and in chronological order (to the best of my memory) 
since I'm a tad OCD. 




1. I accepted a permanent career in my area of specialty at work. This is something I wasn't sure if I would love, and again lacked a lot of confidence in - it was a huge learning curve for me - and I can totally say I'm still learning every single day but I absolutely love the change and could not be more grateful for my incredible career and all of my amazing colleagues/friends.


2. I went on a pretty wicked best friend road trip down the coast just 2 girls 2 dogs and a van. We made a lot of great memories from here to southern Oregon and back, while eating all of the best food along the way ... 
and laughing ourselves to sleep every night.. 


4.Did some amazing interior exploring Othello Tunnels, Cheam and Lindeman Lake. Love hitting beautiful BC bucket list spots. 


4. My first ever out door drive in movie (go ahead and laugh but talk about being a kid again. Don't worry - not an annoying teenage know it all kid).


5. I purchased my own freaking house. Well the mortgage company did and I just painstakingly pay them. But with help of some great local professionals and some pretty incredibly amazing friends and family I have a super wonderful little safe place that is home for me and my sweet fur babies. 


6. I welcomed my incredible sister back into Canada AND onto the island and it looks like it will most likely be for GOOD (picture me doing a happy dance)


7. I ran my first ever half marathon with some strong and inspiring women and can't wait to do it again.


8. I lived through my first ever half marathon.


9. I hiked up Mount Albert Edward with some more crazy inspirational women and I also can't wait to do it again. 


10. Went on some awesome adventures to Canmore, Lake Louise, and Banff (snowboarding). Road tripped to Sun Peaks, Harrison and Sasquatch/Hemlock (snowboarding) and  of course fit Tofino in a few times, and Vegas just squeaked in the weekend before my birthday.


I'm sure I've missed some major highlights of my 30th year but I've added some pretty memorable things to my Nectar List and I have learned so much about myself in the process. I'm grateful these lists just continue to grow and grow.   




Popular Posts