Culture. Shock.

Bangkok.

Culture shock? What did I expect? Or did I not expect anything?

Landing in Bangkok was a different feeling than I had thought. It wasn’t anticipation, excitement, exhaustion, it wasn’t scary or too busy, it was all just so surreal. I was in shock. I couldn't feel a thing.... I didn’t know where to go or who to talk to. The first person I found couldn’t speak English. I didn’t have a Visa and couldn’t remember if I needed to get one. I found customs and thought; well, they’ll just turn me away if I don’t have what I need to get through.  I wasn’t concerned because I was in Thailand, where I’d wanted to be for so many years, and was soon to be with Sarah. Everything was as planned, as we’d talked about since we were so much younger. 


Seeing Sarah, well that part was as it usually is: An internal battle not to cry. Every ounce of effort I had was being used to hold back the tears (and hold up my humongous backpack). I never realize how hard and long the time in between seeing her is, until we meet again, and it seems to hit me all at once how much I missed her. Greetings in the airport are always such memorable moments, especially with loved ones, and in other country (and especially in Bangkok International Airport when you’re really hoping to find that person because you don’t have a phone, or even know the name of your hostel – it’s a miracle how things work out). 


Driving to the hostel we chatted away as if we hadn’t been apart for the 11 months prior. It’s true when people say family ties are stronger than any other.

Our time in Bangkok was short and busy. It was packed full of exploration, of roadside Thai food, riverboat cruises through the canal, temples, Buddha, culture, heat, and adapting to the ways of Thailand. We had no idea the love we’d feel, the people we’d meet, and the experiences we’d have while we were in Thailand. 






 
Wat Arun Temple
  
Wat Arun Temple
Wat Pho




Our view of Khao San Rd from the Rikki Inn.








My Favorite Person.





Beautiful Thailand.

Always a matter of detail.








Beautiful Religious arrangements

The little captives in the huge Bangkok Sunday Market.


Our means of transportation around Bangkok.















"Welcome To Thailand", she says with a wave.

 


Popular Posts