Call it What You Want to Call It.

I often call it luck, for lack of the perfect word maybe.. Call it a blessing, being lucky, call it hard work, faith or even fate but in the end ... everyday of my life I'm reminded by something that I am incredibly lucky. Whether I'm at home, travelling in BC, other parts of Canada and especially other parts of the world. I'm lucky to have the friends and family and support I have, my health, to live in a beautiful country and to have the accessibility and knowledge to see and learn from the world.

I don't think I can prepare for what I will see and learn in the countries I visit or even in my own country. Each day takes me by surprise, especially the 'bad' ones. There's always something or someone to pop up when least expected as a reminder that bad days are only moments in the giant scheme of things.
In the weeks before I headed over seas I was so happy to be able to spend time in Tofino and Vancouver. I was in my most favourite place and also got to go to visit the beautiful city and all with wonderful people.
Now, a world away I'm continually noticing new ways each day that I'm truly lucky.

My first stop in Manila was completely overwhelming... Each time I land, in a city, especially alone, I'm always shocked back into reality.
Manila Youth Hostel is located down a side alley which at night appeared to be almost peaceful. Leaving at 7 am to find a phone proved to be completely opposite. The streets were lined with people sitting on the sidewalks, dogs and cats, and children playing so close to the street it makes my heart skip a beat. This is the way of life. As much as I try to prepare myself for weaving through traffic, the noise, the comments, the stares, I still can't seem to prepare myself for the big city. That being said, through thousands of car horns, locals hanging off jeepneys, and the smell of exhaust, food, and garbage, there's always someone or something to break through that overwhelming feeling. By10 minutes to 9 I'd already found him. I'd met a couple wonderful people by this point actually. One gentleman pulled his motorcycle across coming to traffic so that I could cross an intersection safely. It's the small things that count.. Many taxis passed me by at the side of the road while continuously staring, but one hopped out and greeted me. The gut said yes. He drove me right to the exact location I'd ask without trying to sell me on any 'tourist hotspots' on the way. He told me of his soon leaving the city to be with his family who were hit by, and survived, the typhoon. No longer was the money of Manila important. His 14 year old son wants him home and that's enough for him.
We talked about a coworker from Canada visiting his family in Bohol. The cab driver expressed his deep regret for the families of Bohol, and explained that with the earthquake and the after shock in combination, he doesn't believe a single house to be standing in Bohol anymore. Now , this may have all been a plee for a tip in disguise, but I will never know that for sure. I've chosen to believe, and his story warmed my heart.

From Manila I took a long bus ride north to La Union to visit Tenny. As each city (and each hour) goes by, the transformation of landscape is absolutely incredible. Each city seemed more organized and welcoming (though I still remained the only tourist in site the entire 8 hour trip to Bacnotan). Food vendors, clothing vendors, farmers tending to their crops, children playing together and with their pets. The sky went from haze and grey to gorgeous blue with a few pure white clouds. I tried to keep track of the cities as the bus drove through but there had to be 1 hundred which didn't make it easy. Urdaneta City has many beautiful wooden furniture and carvings, the men working at the side of the road used chain saws to cut rounds of wood out of old twisted tree bases and while driving through the city you could see they made them into masterpieces. San Juan, almost at Bacnotan, is a gorgeous small town on the ocean side with beautiful old architecture.

Every morning we're up by 5 30 and finished breakfast by 630. In Bacnotan if you need something from the market for breakfast you can get it very early, they're already there. Early starts to the day to get the cool weather perhaps. The Bacnotan market day was on Thursday ... Many locals bring their produce and baked goods to the market. People do not have stoves so everything is roasted over the bamboo fire and has a smokey flavour. We bought 5 different local desserts to try. They are all made of either rice or local tree roots or coconut. Some did not have much flavour and some very rich. 30 peso for 5. Not even 75 cents. The neighbours brought over delicious lunchtime homemade snacks as well. Everything is fresh and homemade. In the afternoons I walked or swam the beach, it's very hot and the water warm.
We took a trip to San Fernando City about 30 minutes south to go Ma-Cho temple, the largest oldest Taoist temple in this area. Very nice.
We went to a big open market in San Fernando which sold many different things, very nicely made woodwork, jewellery, local food and honey. Many sweets that day..

We spent our time in La Union visiting local markets, eating delicious fresh food and fruit, visiting with friendly neighbours and neighbouring cities. From sunrise beach walks to sunset views, pig roasts and karaoke to night markets. The days were rich in sunlight and laughter. On my last night we travelled to Baguio city through the beautiful winding mountains all lush and green with trees and crops. Baguio also a beautiful city is an array of steep hills with houses perched on top as well as down low in the valley. From Baguio I took a local van for 6 hours through twisting mountain roads and hot valleys, all beautiful in their own ways. At the end of my mountainous journey I arrived in Banaue where I'd explore the rice terraces.








Popular Posts