. Live with Intention .


"  May your coming year be

filled with magic and dreams and good madness.

I hope you read some fine 

books and kiss someone who 

thinks you're wonderful

and don't forget to make 

some art - write or draw

or build or sing or live as only you can.

And I hope somewhere in the next year, you surprise

yourself.  "
~ Neil Gaiman




My sister sent this quote to me and my heart exploded when I read it. I haven't read anything more perfect in a while and I wish it upon all of you in this fresh new year. 

Earlier this year I stumbled upon the Nectar List. I had never heard of it and like this quote I absolutely couldn't be more happy with the point it put out, the feelings I felt, and how much I really wanted to share it. I feel that as the New Year creeps up on us most people are stressing a bit, making goals and plans, making those New Years Resolutions. And, I understand this drive and that essentially the Nectar list is secondary to these goals and plans. But the idea of focusing on accomplishments instead is so refreshing. 

Okay, a Nectar List is not even remotely easy to create.. Especially for me as I feel that everything in my life has been significant. I'll start by explaining what a Nectar List is.
I'm going to make the broad assumption that everyone knows what a bucket list is.... The list we have in our minds, our hearts, sometimes on paper, sometimes alone, sometimes with others, of all the amazing - big or small - things we want to do before we "kick the bucket". And trust me, mines as long as anyones! There's not much that isn't on there.

Now, in contrast there is a Nectar List. 
A beautifully compiled list that describes the Nectar of our being {ahhh this makes my heart skip a beat}.

The events. 
The substance of our lives. 
The accomplishments. 
Milestones. 
Goals met. 
Travels. 
Children. 
Childhood.
However you want to think of it.

This is the list that brings all of that fantastic-ness that YOU created and achieved yourself. And soak it up, and feel that lovely satisfaction (instead of the common stress of the to-do list). 

I could personally create a Nectar List so long that I may not even read through it, so it's almost an unrealistic project. I've thought about it for months… since I first stumbled upon the great article that revealed this fabulous idea.

My list will never be complete.
Nor will it compete with anyone else's. 

It's mine. It makes my heart happy. It brings me ease. 


So here is my list, in no specific order. 



1. Through sheer good fortune I've experienced the raw beauty of living on the West Coast of Canada.

2. I've also lived in and fallen in love with all 4 seasons while I lived in Ontario.

3. I've travelled to 11 countries outside of Canada. Some of which on my own. 

4. My first over seas travel was to Australia, by myself, which was one of the most independent strengthening experiences any woman can do. 

5. I've been blessed with the overwhelming feeling of fighting back tears every time I sing O ' Canada in a crowded room because I'm actually so proud of where I am from, who I am, and the people around me. 

6. I've watched the sunrise from a mountain top.

7. I've also watched the sun set from a mountain top. 

8. I've made friends with complete strangers, in some of the greatest places, and truly cherish all of those fantastic memories. 

9. I've successfully completed a degree and started my career by 24 years old. 

10. I grew up skating on a frozen lake.

11. I've known the comfort of being in my parent's arms when there's nothing else in the world that could have fixed my problems. 

12. I've known, loved, and laughed with my grandparents. 

13. I have been in Vietnam for the Vietnamese New Year (Tet), and watched the best fireworks show of my entire life from the riverside in Saigon. 

14. I've travelled the slums of India and learned more about myself and others in a few weeks than I probably had in my entire life. 

15. I've gotten 3 tattoos in 3 different countries. 

16. I've laughed until I've cried on too many occasions to count with too many people to mention. 

17. I've loved and lost and been loved again. 

18. I've danced until 3 am on a sandy beach in Thailand.

19. I've travelled to 4 countries outside of Canada with my sister in my lifetime (and have many, many, many more to come). 

20. I've caught a "Tyee" (not all of you will know what this means, but trust me that it's significant ;) ). 

30. Been so happy I cried (on many occasions). 

31. I've loved people (and pets) enough that I've cried when I've had to say goodbye.

32. I got my diving certification in Indonesia.

33. I've walked across the Golden Gate Bridge. 

34. I've seen the Grand Canyon.

35. I've been in awe of the Taj Mahal and let down by it at the same time.

36. I've read many books that have made me laugh and cry and have shared these with others. 

37. I've danced the days and nights away at outdoor music festivals.

38. I've hiked the West Coast Trail. Twice.

39. I went to Augusta, Georgia for the Masters and loved it. 

40. I've built a couch fort as an adult.

41. I've been to the killing fields in Cambodia. 

42. I've surfed in the middle of Winter in Canada. 

43. I saw the plays Mama Mia and Phantom of the Opera and they were worthy of tears.

44. I've slept in a hammock in the Amazon Jungle, in Brazil. 

45. I hiked a volcano in Indonesia in the middle of the night to watch the sunrise from the top.

46. I've eaten some of the best meals of my life in alleyways for under 1$. 

47. My feet have been in the North Pacific, South Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Ocean.

48. I've counted the stars in an endless sky.

49. I've bungee jumped.

50. I hiked through 2,000 year old rice terraces in the Philippines. 

51. I shot an AK 47 in Vietnam, at the Cu Chi Tunnels. 


I lived. 
And my life has been perfect. 

Popular Posts