Live The Life That People Write Novels About {galapagos}

Galapagos Islands
If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet


Sometimes, if I wait too long after a trip (which usually happens) to blog, my inspiration runs dry a bit. I forget the butterflies I had the moment I stepped off the plane. The breathtaking, tear jerking feeling that looking at the sunsets and scenery gives me. That overwhelming joy of travelling and experiencing a new place, new food, history and people. I try to start with a quote to bring myself back to those moments, to pull at my heart strings again. I do this so I can truly express my love and gratitude to the universe for all the places I have visited. 
Last year when the opportunity for the Galapagos trip was brought forward, I thought about it (of course). ButI didn't think about it in the way that 90% of you think I would have. I thought, well, sure I'd go if I can get the time off work. I said these same words to my dad when I told him. And he said ' you WILL get those days off work, this is a trip of a lifetime'. So I thought, I should look this up a bit more. I guess I had just never considered it in depth. I can now say, the Galapagos was an adventure. A glorious, be thankful for every drop of rain, ocean, every grain of sand, the birds, the trees, the eco system, kind of adventure. Not the kind of life threatening, eat from street vendors, possibly get robbed/kidnapped adventure. The kind of adventure where every day there's opportunity to explore new environment. There's new rare animals to be seen. The adventure of being in the ocean,  a whole other world itself, every day. Swimming with sharks, turtles and sea lions. Counting colourful fish and bird species. The adventure of being in a beautiful, natural environment every day and leaving no impact. Just observing. Being with, and a part of, the natural habitat. In that moment, co-existing.

Being on a cruise ship, though smaller, was something entirely new for me. I don't do well with the motion of being on the water but with such a vast amount to see and do, the time spent on the boat is actually fairly minimal. The time we did spend on the boat was fantastic, simple, easy and relaxing. The days just rolled into one another and we enjoyed our surroundings with such ease. 

The islands were each unique. Some seemed like rocky lava filled deserts where others were lush green tropical jungles with rolling hills up high into the clouds. It didn't matter how the islands looked they were all surrounded with the same tropical blue seas, clean water and rolling waves. The islands were inhabited by marine iguanas, fluffy tiny sea lions and fascinating birds. I think the most mesmerizing bird for me was the frigate bird and the blue footed booby. They soar way above the water and in an instant tuck in their wings and dive down like a thin pencil dive into the ocean to search for fish. Over and over. One moment that stands out incredibly in my mind is being underwater, snorkeling with a small sealion. It was rolling along with the waves, so curious of everyone swimming. Watching, and playing. It was light and majestic in the water, so close as if it had no fear of us. It was absolutely incredible. A few other magically dreamy moments were watching the rays swim through the pristine, glass calm lagoons. Like birds of the sea. Watching seaturtles slowly swim by at the bottom of the greany/blue ocean is definitely also at the top of the most memorable moments. I could go on forever...  

Not often do I talk about "people" in my blog. Unless they're the raw, local, beautiful people of the country I am visiting. Well, I was lucky enough to travel with my entire family of in-laws. In almost three years this is the first time we've all been on a trip together (at the same time - we've all been on separate trips together). So let me tell you, it was pretty special. I looked at 150 (however many people were on this cruise ship) and thought to myself, man am I ever lucky. These are the greatest, kindest, funniest people on this entire boat. Maybe all of the other guests thought that of each other too (but I was right, I am sure of it). I couldn't have chosen better people to spend my holidays with.. I am truly, wholeheartedly grateful for all of the memories made together.


Our travel around the Galapagos went like this :


Baltra
Bartolone and Caleta Bucanero, Santiago Island.
Punta Vicente Roca, Isabela Island and Punta Espinoza, Fernandina Island
Caleta tagus, Isabela Island and Bahia Elizabeth, Isabela Island
Post Office Bay, Floreana Island and Punta Cormorant, Floreana Island
La Galapaguera - Pto. Baquerizo and Wizard Hill, San Cristobal Island
Los Gemelos and El Manzanillo - Pto. Ayora and El Trapiche, Santa Cruz
Baltra


A total of 435 Nautical Miles



Marine Iguana


Blue Footed Booby


Lava Heron


BlueFooted Booby





Marine iguanas



{Penguins}


























The Galapagos Lava lizards climb onto the backs of the sealions to eat the flies








Darwins Finch




















Popular Posts