Girl Gang

Super quick strong woman post in remembrance of yesterday, 

International Women’s Day.


I saw an article pop up about how adventuring women’s groups are growing and becoming so much more a “thing”. So naturally I sent it to all my girls feeling proud that we’ve been doing this for some time now.

As I come off night shift (hustling) I’m leaving to the coast to adventure with some of the most amazing, empowering women– who I do almost everything with – who are seriously badass, hustling women each in their own ways. We do annual trips (multiple a year). This month we are cabining in Tofino, at the incredible Crystal Cove – CHECK IT OUT if you haven’t been. McKenzie Beach is one of my favs and Crystal Cove is such a convenient location that has all you need for your stay. Cannot wait for Wolf in the Fog, Tacofino and Rhino (maybe even the brewery)... all the delicious food to be had (and of course Cedar Sours). 
In April – we are doing our annual Vegas trip (less than a month away) … and another one of our absolute annual staples, and one of our longest standing adventures, is our camping trip. It’s a short hike in camp (about 3 km) and somehow we still don’t pack lightly.
We glamp (guilty).
We wheelbarrow in our goods so we can drink ceasers/mules and eat our steaks or homemade seafood tacos on the beach.  Each year we hear the surprise from passerbys how it isn’t often they see a bunch of women camping on a remote beach in Northern Vancouver Island. Makes us a little proud inside, and feel a little badass. 
That being saidddddd … Last year there were two other women out adventuring to San Josef Bay as well (get it girlllls) so the proof is out there. It is becoming more common.

In my mind, it seems so surprising… 
Who DOESN’T do these things?? 
Women or men. And if being a woman makes you less likely to get out there for whatever reasons, be it fear of safety, lack of direction whatever it is.. Get a dog (borrow one), grab a friend (or 7), get a sitter (or bring your kids) and seriously get out there and check out the amazing outdoors and what Vancouver Island (and the PNW in general) has to offer.

I find spending time with my girls like a reset. I come home feeling relaxed and refreshed (even when we haven’t slept much) and ready to take on life again.
I have a bit of a second guilty pleasure… I also love doing things solo. So if girls trips aren’t the thing for you – no biggy – we live in a SUPER safe place. Travel around. Look into your destination ahead of time to know your predators, landscapes and weather (and don’t learn from me – make a safety plan) .. but once you have that in place – just get out there and feel the power of being a woman (or man) in nature!!!


Off to Tofino I go. 
{wearing my sunglasses to hide the tired nightshift eyes}

The original crew
Cox Bay Lookout
Year 1
Tofino Brewery


Year 2
Mount Ozzard



These views from Campbell River Hospital add to the beauty of leaving  a nightshift.

Popular Posts