What advice would you give your 20 year old self?





This is a little bit different than my regular blogs. It’s not about travel or about the beautiful west coast (but I did a dreamy West Coast photo to grab your attention). It isn’t about failure (or perseverance) at farming. It’s more personal. It’s a little bit deeper (into the abyss we go). There’s still exploration but it’s in a different form. So all I ask is be open minded - only take away from it what you need of course. If that is nothing – then it’s not for you and that’s coo’.





For the last few years I’ve worked really hard on myself – like the core of myself (my real core not my apple core) – worked on exploring who I am (Suri’s mom, incase you want to skip the rest and know the outcome – just kidding) and why I am the way I am (thanks a lot mom and dad – just kidding, again, I love you both very much) and what it is I want myself and my life to look and feel like. When I first started my “self exploration journey” it looked a lot (and sounded a lot like – for those of you who remember this..) “this is the year of Ange”… and that went on for a couple years where I sort of just “did” what I wanted, tons of girls trips, Vegas, serious Island adventuring, work for play – which I had a great time – but I also lacked a lot of depth.. Fast forward. Not quite the case, but we live and learn right? I was at a place in my life where I had abandoned myself to such an extend to conform to others that I didn’t know what I needed because I didn’t really know who I was. Self care after “the year of Ange” changed into more of a “where do I fit in life or more – so what parts of this universe do I want to fit more of into my life”.

What brings me happiness?

How do I want to build my life to serve me long term?

How will it look for me to share the best of myself with the world and those around me?

What actually serves me?

And what can go?

Why do we try to fit in?

Why do we try to mold?

What are we even trying to “fit in to” does it even exist?

What do I actually FEEL. And why?

And what do I want to feel more of, and how can I do that?


(and way more – but I caught you yawning so the rest stay within me – you’re welcome).

In reflection, I have drastically changed in the last ten years. I have monumentally changed in the past 2 years. Looking back from where I am now, I wouldn’t change it. I wouldn’t go back. Every part of my life has happened for a reason that has brought me to who I am and where I am today. So, with all this work and change my friend network has developed and grown. I have found the people I spend most of my time with are full of adventure, inspiration, experience and our conversation is deeper and flows around connection, grounding and healthier lives and experiences. We connect over debriefing and balance and bond over time well spent. I have soul sisters, real sisters, closer friends, deeper connections with family, more openness to diversity, a greater ability to under and over all more curiosity to all of those around me. I have learned SO much and learn more every day. I am a work in progress (yeah I said it, far from perfect y’all) and putting in that work brings me happiness.

After a couple similar conversations recently of “would you go back to a time in your life before now, or would you want to be at a time in your life prior to this with your knowledge now?” it kind of sparked some curiosity in me to wonder would I? …
The simple answer is no .. I wouldn’t. And talking to others about this – often the answer is also no (it’s also sometimes YES, and I always love to hear why – we are all so different).

With all of this milling about in my brain I was listening to a podcast that often ends in the question “What advice would you give your 20 year old self?”  Now … I’ve spent HOURS listening to episodes from this specific podcast .. and I’ve never actually thought about how I’d answer this question.. So as I thought about it .. I sent out a few texts to a few people who are near and dear to me…
As the answers started rolling in I was SO amazed. I was sometimes brought to tears, sometimes laughed out loud, sometimes I could totally relate. Sometimes I could totally not. I was so overwhelmed with the variety of responses and how knowing the people sending them I was sooo like “YESSSS” of course – you rock. To every single one – every one was so honest – and so willing to share – and those are the connections I love. I sent out the question to a few more people, and then a few more after that….

So (without anyone’s permission – SUE ME – I know) I thought I’d share.. (no names attached). First of all thank you for sharing with me. Second of all. Thank you for sharing yourself with the world.

 

What advice would you give your 20 year old self?




Don’t forget to breathe. Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear! 

I thought about it. I think my advice would be to just tell little me to relax and let life just take me places instead of fighting things all the time

The love you have for yourself and the value you have for yourself is worth far more than the love or value others give you 

Whoa 20 year old me...well....to trust I was in the right place. Talk to the people I needed to and that communication is important to nurture relationships. Not use money to fill a void. Go see someone to help me be financially responsible. And also go out of my comfort zone more. 

Hmmm well that’s a tough one. I love my life right now and my fam jam and my amazing life we have created. But I wish I didn’t turn down opportunities that arose with friends. I wish I was a bit more confident in some decisions in my life. And I wish I would have travelled a tiny bit!

Stop looking for the next best thing and enjoy the moments as they come. Everything that you need will find you. Stay grateful, stay positive. These stressors you feel are only a blink in the grand scheme of things. 


Try not to dwell. Try looking ahead. 

Slow down, savour every single minute and trust your (my) gut; you’ve got this, Girl 💗

Ummm... just be you. Listen to your heart and do what makes you happy. Don’t worry about what others think of you and live a life from your heart and you deserve to be happy ♥️♥️♥️

Get a good job. Live in your parent’s house. Save for a down payment. Buy a house.  Then go back to school and rent out the house until you need it.

I don’t think I’d give my 20 year old self any advice. Perhaps drink more water. 

Get a job in film, would have saved me years of shit. No, actually nothing, I’m happy enough maybe stop smoking. 

Rock your body 

You’re worth more than you think 

Live it up more in university 

Buy apple stocks and hold it. No matter what.

Save more money, houses are expensive.

Oh good question......hmmmm I wish I would have travelled more, cared less about what people thought and have been more picky with men

Don’t put up with complete bullshit people. I’ve dealt with more than my fair share 

The love you have for yourself and the value you have for yourself is worth far more than the love or value others give you 

Lots! - be yourself - don’t do it just cause everyone else is - whatever you focus on expands - have confidence - no one notices your skin like you think they do 

One would be to not let other people’s opinion of me dictate what type of work or school to pursue. And another would be, be more aware of what you spend money on and to invest in property earlier. Less spending money on booze and stupid shit but spending it in more quality life changing things. And prob travel more as it gets harder to make the time when life happens 

Don’t sweat the small stuff 


Relax and always say yes to traveling and live music

Mhmm, probably live a life and do the things you want and not worry so much about what others and society thinks. 

Take no shit from anyone

Speak up! don’t be so afraid of upsetting people, listen to your body and trust your intuition, step out of your comfort zone. 

Don’t go into medicine 

I go back and forth. Either nothing – because I am scared it would change the chain of how my life went. Or if I knew I’d still be where I am today, with the same experiences.. I’d say “live with intention. It takes hard work and vulnerability to really get to know and accept yourself. Every path you take leads you to the next chapter in life”.

 

My hope was that people would take their own advice and if they aren’t already living it – would take it into consideration now.
What I took away is – people are SO happy with where they’re at and I love that – so much (like light heart happy love that). I also took away from this – communication. Don’t worry about what other people think. YOU ARE VALUABLE AND WORTHY. Breathe.
We are ALL so unbelievably diverse so at the end of the day – if you go to sleep knowing you’re living your truth … power to you. You are doing life right


Popular Posts