It's a messy world we live in



This year has been a bit of a mess. For some a mess sums it up, for others a mess does not come close to touching the emotional, trauma, or turmoil that has occurred in 2020. It has not been over a year since the first case of COVID 19 across the globe. How that has happened, how much has taken place in this short amount of time, how many terrible disasters, how many beautiful triumphs, is quite astounding. I don't want to discredit the messiness, the disaster, the tidal waves. The trauma. But every storm passes and there is beauty that awaits. I've wrote about this many times, added to it, thought about formulating my thoughts into comprehensible words. Now, as we are Lockdown number two, a larger wave, an almost more deeply felt isolation is taking place. We're emotionally exhausted from the year of overwhelming information, changes, new plans, old plans, misinformation, new information that we aren't quite as strong as we were individually in the beginning. In the beginning we were coasting on adrenal for what was to come... now we are a little beat up and some days take longer to stand. We can be weaker individually, we can feel this deeper, harder, with less resilience - but if we join together (from a distance) we can be stronger than we ever were to begin with. 

When Covid first “hit” us here in Canada it was a bit surreal. We’d heard things around the world, some people had just been travelling, some had already been hunkered down for the end of winter and felt little worry to being at risk themselves. 

Personally, I found we all lifted each other up and turned on each other all at the same time. Here on Vancouver Island the majority of the opinions were “shut down the ferries, keep groups small, and limit who comes and goes” (myself included, fear does crazy things to us). As the panic has slowly subsided we have gotten used to our new norm, and have learned to lean on and support one another, enjoy a slower pace of life and cherish the ones we love. 

 

It was actually in January when the first person in British Columbia was tested positive for COVID 19. We are quickly coming up on one year of personally feeling these effects, this bungee cord we are stuck to of back and forth freedom and isolating fear, of COVID 19. 

 

Despite wanting this all to be over, humans are really resilient, we can want and wish that and still adapt and thrive in our new environment 

 

For those of you who aren’t, who have depression, anxiety, live a generally unsettled new norm day to day YOU ARE COMPLETELY NORMAL.

 

Please read that again. 


Say this out loud: every single emotion felt around COVID - good or bad, is completely normal, should be felt and validated, and can change and fluctuate as we move through this crazy experience. Every single person and every single lived experience of COVID 19 is allowed. If you are just fine, that’s normal, if you’re barely hanging on - you are not alone - and if you’re somewhere in the middle I think everyone can relate to that at some point. 

 

When BC announced a health emergency on March 18th, naturally, all of our little personal worlds kind of imploded. Time has gone on and the tsunami waves of what’s to come have started to get smaller. For nurses (speaking personally) we were hit hard by the waves. Every day was a new protocol, a new scare (“we are going to run out of masks by next week”, “our wave will be next week, we will be hit, you may not be able to go home, you should not go to the grocery stores, nurses and doctors are dying around the world”) - it was hard on the outside too. KEEP YOUR MASKS. We'll find a way to reuse those. We don't have enough. Even though we use our critical thinking and are educated well in what is going on - these things still scare us. Terrify even. Because of the original lock down, and small slow spread across BC, and Canada, we have given companies time to develop more protective gear, to increase our stock of masks, to ensure our protocols are safe. In health care, dental care, education, emergency services - we all thank you, every day, for giving us that time - for keeping us alive. As our numbers are growing exponentially, our deaths rising, we ask you again - to comply with restrictions, to understand that you are not alone in your frustrations, you're not alone in your questions, in your tears, in your fears. 

 

Now, on the island, our waves are little in comparison. Others are being hit with big waves. Teachers, dentists, hygienists to name (just) a few, I know there’s many more. They feel, hear and see the same thing. They are our heroes too and are scarifying their own health and safety (and fully trusting ever changing PPE) to stay at work as our numbers climb. We all have our role. Even if your role seems simple: wash your hands and wear your mask. It’s a role that can save your family, yourself, a nurse or a teacher. 

 

Some days those waves come back harshly to let us know they’re still there. Here on Vancouver Island we are lucky. Overall... the trauma has been less. Sadly, we currently have over 7,300 active cases of COVID 19 in BC - and we're on Lockdown #2 with tighter restrictions every day. Hopefully these restrictions will lift for the holiday season, but overall we need to do better. We now see what the effects are and we know better - we can learn from this.


Do the best you can until you know betterThen when you know betterdo better.” 


—Maya Angelou



 

I know I’ve had some tough days, especially in the beginning, but I’ve felt a lot of gratitude toward the slow down, the ability to be accountable to myself, intentional and for the realization that busy was not serving me well. I miss a lot of things, I miss travel, I miss new experiences and people, but listening to guidelines and mandates and following these with respect and caution is saving other lives. So I thought I’d ask a few close and inspirational people how they have managed to stay balance “throughout“ COVID 19 (thus far). Spoiler: we are not all balanced, or even OK. Thank you for your honesty and sharing with me (again I didn’t ask 

 

Here’s what these beautiful people had to say when asked what small changes in their lives created or maintained balance: 

 

Stopped watching the news and doing home workouts with G (her daughter).

 

I was extremely embodied and in tune with my body. I slowed down and rested when she asked me to. I ate when she asked me to. I moved when she asked me to. I went inward when she asked me to. I gained a deeper relationship with my body and her cues 

 

Slowing down has allowed me to enjoy the boys more noticing all their little details. Another one is Spending less money, only ordering what we need for groceries not going into stores

 

For me honestly... Covid was easy. BUT I would definitely say: keeping to a routine as much as I could!! Continuing to still wake up early everyday, workout, get outside, keep my daily habits and rituals, and going to bed early.

 

Getting outside more. 

 

Surrendering to the awareness that we cannot directly change what’s going going on around us. We let it be and do our best, wear a mask and keep groups small. 

 

Picked up my guitar again! 

 

Well I didn’t stay balanced through it all so I’m not sure if I can comment on that.  Maybe learning to reach out and ask for help more, although still working on that a bit.

 

We embraced restaurants being closed and put energy into nourishing our bodies with organic and/or locally sourced ingredients whenever possible. We made quite elaborate meals for just the two of us. We also got into a great home workout routine. These efforts really helped me to feel healthy and strong. I felt like I was doing my best to control what I could within something so uncontrollable which in turn increased my comfort and confidence that in the event I was exposed to COVID  I would be as healthy and strong as possible facing it! 

 

Stopped sleeping ? Hahaha I am as unnnnnnbalanced as they come. 

 

I have made intentional movement a priority (inside or outside) and created space to be calm and present. A lot of reflections, gratitude and intentions - being accountable to myself (Also no News and lots of 7 day social media breaks). Lot's of yoga. Lot's of dog time. 

 

Not really a change but probably just staying dedicated to my exercise routine even when the gyms were closed. Making sure I get still get out in nature and spend time with people. I actually probably watch less tv since COVID too which isn’t what I would expect.

 

Minimizing time on social media and using that time to connect with family, friends and my hubby

 

I’d say dropping my usual sense of urgency... be it responding to texts/messages, making decisions, or that nagging “need” to be continuously productive.

 

I've realized that our new way of living is to be patient. Having accepted that we can no longer "run into a store or where ever" has taught me to be calm, wait my turn as we cant be in a rush any longer  and be kind to everyone. We are all in the midst of this new life style.

  

Striking up  conversations with chickens for my insanity, getting outside with hikes and exploring the gems of this island for my health.

  

I’ve stayed much closer to home and developed closer relationships with a few in my complex and it has really helped me to feel less ‘alone’. Of course I have been very mindful of keeping a very small circle so that I can be healthy and always ready to help with my little boys

 

 This question struck up a conversation within a group ; the reflection was ... 

During Covid we all had the chance to reflect on our relationships whether they were with friends, acquaintances, or family. We had the opportunity to prioritize what we wanted in our lives, and had no social obligations that left us feeling wasted time. We had time to get comfortable in our own skin and come to terms with some thoughts and emotions that had been pushed to the side and forgotten. Some of us changed our careers or our career paths. Is work really all it’s chalked up to be? Maybe, but maybe not! 

 

 I don't think it has been any serious change, these are the things that keep me balanced in my life in general!!! Purposeful work, yoga, community, surrounding myself with people who INSPIRE me, reading, learning, ORGANIC food, matcha, honoring my cycle + mental health.

 

 

 A few addition things people said this past week that has brought them happiness (since someday it's really hard to motivate ourselves to find yet another thing to do in isolation): Exercise, gratitude, Lists and new recipes. Lots of Walking. New education/careers. Buying a cricut and crafting. Baking. Hiking, swimming and paddle boarding. Starting and finishing an entire book series (Harry Potter), Lots of walking outside with a new pup - reading and learning crochet. Reading (this has been a big trend). Decorating early for Christmas (also a big trend, and completely acceptable in my opinion). Gardening all summer and enjoying cooking. Prescription medication ( DO NOT hesitate to seek out help if you think you need it - this is a really hard time). Red wine (lots of red wine). Mountain Biking. Hiking in the forest. Being pregnant and having a new baby - also walking and hiking (another healthy trend). Enjoying the outdoors in general. Simplifying life (YESSS). Being more connected AND more self care. Lots of puzzles and tea (mm comfort). Taking extra long showers and pretending I am in the hot tub, having date nights at home, special treats planned in advance to look forward to. 

 

I LOVE reading all this - over and over. There is so many ways to add a bit of happiness to your day and they can all be very different, there are also seemingly a lot of trends. Overall I love how the most simple pleasures are what make people the happies.t 




Stay happy and healthy. Never be afraid to ask for help, never be afraid to ask for more from life. Remember to be extra gentle with ourselves and each other right now - kindness goes a long way, so does hand sanitizer and wearing your mask ;).

 

Popular Posts