live in the moment.





Maybe it’s the familiar hug waiting in arrivals, or the scent of lilac in the yard. Or perhaps it’s the routine of tea and toast each morning accompanied by hours of stories and meaningful conversation. Stories that make us tear up with sorrow or with happiness. Re-living every fond memory we’ve experienced since the last visit.

I believe that our roots are part of us. Where we were born determined something about our lives. My roots are so strong that they’ve followed me all the way across Canada and I’m always drawn back to that familiar feeling of ‘home’ in Hamilton. Each year it is harder to leave. I planned a longer trip of 16 days, thinking that may be enough – it’s not enough. I traveled through many places in the southern tip of Ontario in that 16 days. Some old and some new. All exciting and all beautiful. Spending time with old friends and new friends, and family I hadn’t seen in many years. I learned more about myself and more about those I care about.



Hamilton view from the escarpment by night., 









This year Sarah was not in Hamilton, she’s off living her dream in Australia and Bali and I’m so proud of her. I thought it would have made a tremendous difference not having her by my side – but knowing her happiness was enough for me. I thought of her often and she was with me in mind.

Sunny days, history, art, breathtaking landscapes, loved ones and laughter filled my trip. It was an adventure I will treasure (I will also treasure my 900+ photos). Port towns, Lake Erie and all of it’s wonders reminded me of how important a “stay-cation” is. (Maybe this wasn’t exactly a stay-cation, as I had to fly, but it is one within my own country). Simply driving down Barton Street is so beautiful to me. The historic cathedrals and boarded up buildings have such background and stories that I’ll never know. I was told that this passion for Hamilton is because I don’t live there. Maybe that is true- Maybe not. All I know is that my heart feels lighter when I’m visiting Ontario.

My grandma and I have a special bond. Sarah and I have often said ‘if she was our age – she’d be our best friend’. Well, age is only a number anyway, she’s definitely a best friend to me.  And, I was lucky to spend most of my trip with her.So I thank her - and everyone else for putting me up during my stay in Ontario.

Rainy Calgary Layover

Popular Posts